A 6 dresser drawers and a 4 drawer / 1 door Armoire; it made for a lot of surfaces to treat:
All ready on the Armoire.
Close up of the finish on the Armoire after it was stripped:
After the finish was stripped it was time for sanding. Like an idiot I first started sanding the finish without eye protection and sure enough off the start I got a piece of the stripper gel right in the eye, which hurt like hell. After that it was gloves, safety glasses, and even a breathing mask. I didn’t want any of the stuff near my skin anymore.
At this point we patched any knicks (and the old holes) with a wood putty and sanded again. Really evened out the knicks from over the years (especially the cat claw marks as it would try to jump to the top of the armoire).
After the surfaces were stripped and sanded, we applied a conditioner before staining. This was something we wipped on with a cloth and would open the pours in the wood allowing the stain to penetrate and also to make it cover more evenly.
Then it was on to staining!
Here’s the Armoire right before wiping away the extra.
After that it was 2 coats of Polyuerthane. For that we put it on, let it dry and then very very lightly sanded (by hand, sander was too powerful!) with a fine grit sandpaper before putting on the second coat. This prevented the little specs and burrs from building up as coat after coat went on top. Really evened out the finish.
Another step we took, which I’m glad we did, was wet sanding the finish. For that it was pretty simple. I went to a auto store and got some wet/dry 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper. We filled a bucket with warm soap water, drenched the sandpaper, and then lightly went over the finish using a sponge as a sanding block. We did about 2 to 3 passes for each area and applied zero pressure downward. This took any imperfections out of the final coat and made the whole thing smooth as glass.
Then time to put the hardware on. Since the dressers and armoire were so old (they were my uncle’s in Highschool). We had to fill the holes from the old handles and redrill new ones.
There were a couple other pieces we did this for: